Thank you for your interest in becoming a member of the FSU Golden Girls Dance Team! We are a part of the Florida State Spirit Program, which consists of the Golden Girls, Co-Ed Cheerleading Squad & All-Girl Cheerleading Squad. Our team serves as ambassadors for Florida State University and helps promote spirit at several athletic events including Football, Men’s Basketball & Volleyball as well as other events for our school and community.
We are looking for confident, talented, humble, dedicated, and passionate dancers to be a part of the FSU Golden Girls Dance Team. Team members are responsible for representing Florida State in the classroom, on the court/field and on stage at the national level. Being a member of our team comes with several exciting opportunities but is also a major commitment.
More information on this recruitment process is listed in the FAQs. This is a life-changing opportunity and we are excited about the possibility of having you in our program. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us with any questions you might have.
Head Coach, Florida State University Golden Girls Dance Team
2021-2022 Golden Girls Recruitment Form
"*" indicates required fields
Recruitment Frequently Asked Questions
How do I get started if I’m interested in becoming a Golden Girl?
Step 1: Submit the recruiting form (above)
Step 2: Follow all of our social media pages so you can stay up to date with dates and upcoming events!
Facebook: Florida State Golden Girls Dance Team
Tik Tok: Fsugoldengirls
Step 3: Plan a visit to FSU to meet with the Dancers, Coaches and attend a clinic. While in-person clinics aren’t mandatory, they are the best way for us to get to know you ahead of time!
What is the timeline for recruiting and when do I submit videos:
2021-2022 Seniors – December 1st, 2021
Please email [email protected] with any timeline issues or concerns
2022-2023 Seniors – November 1st, 2022
What should be included in my video?
Attire for audition videos is a black tight fitting tank or half top with black shorts. Hair should be pulled back out of face for the dance portion, but down and styled for introductions and game day portion. Hip Hop pants and tennis shoes may be added for the HH portion.
The video must be uploaded and set as unlisted on a video-hosting site (i.e. YouTube) or Google Drive. Clearly label the online video with full name and email address. Please set it as “unlisted”. Videos and headshot should be submitted on the recruitment submission form page in the upload area. Please give our Coaching Staff 2 weeks to reach out. If you do not have access to YouTube/Google for any reason, please reach out as soon as possible.
Please include the following on your qualifying video:
- An introduction stating your name, where you’re from, class for year, a fun fact and why you want to be a member of the FSU Golden Girl Dance Team! Be relaxed, have fun!
- A jazz/contemporary/lyrical/modern performance solo (can be a previous competition/showcase/recital solo or a new solo choreographed by yourself or someone else (i.e teacher, coach, friend)).
- A Hip Hop combo/showcase (can be a previous competition/showcase/recital solo or a new solo choreographed by yourself or someone else (i.e teacher, coach, friend)).
- 4 skill combinations (Legs/Flexibility, leaps/jumps, HH Tricks & Pirouettes) created by you!
- All combinations EXCEPT turn combo & HH tricks need to be shown on the right & left side.
- Within the 4 separate combos, you should include quad and quint (4/5) pirouette, aerial (right, left or both), legs/flexibility skills, leaps/jumps (including switches), kip-up, headspring & turns in second that include changing spots.
This is your opportunity to showcase the unique individual skills that you possess or that we could utilize throughout the season. Be creative and send in your best skills!
Will every dancer hear back from the Coaching Staff in regards to your submission?
Yes! Please allow up to 2 weeks for the coaching staff to review your audition submission. If you have any follow-up questions, please reach out to [email protected]
Is attending a prep clinic or training camp mandatory?
No. We understand that traveling to FSU is not always feasible in the middle of the year, however, we highly recommend you attend and set up a visit at FSU so you can meet the Coaching Staff, view campus and get a feel for our culture and team. The best way to commit to our team is to see for yourself!
Besides dance ability, what do you look for in future Golden Girls?
We are looking for confident, talented, humble, dedicated, and passionate dancers to be a part of the FSU Golden Girls Dance Team. Team members are responsible for representing Florida State in the classroom, on the court/field and on stage at the national level. Being a member of our team comes with several exciting opportunities but is also a major commitment!
What’s the best way to form a relationship with the Coaching Staff and/or Golden Girls?
Communication is key! The more you reach out ahead of time, the better we can get to know you! Email us, follow us on all social media, attend in-person and virtual clinics & send in your qualifying video as soon as possible!
What does the remainder of the recruitment process look like?
Perspective dancers who are asked to continue the process will have the following next steps:
- On 12/15, You will be sent 2 dance combos (Jazz & HH) by FSU GGs to perform & showcase via video (submission and attire requirements are same as the qualifying video).
- On 12/15, You will be sent gameday material by FSU GGs to perform and showcase via video (hair should be down and styled).
- Both dance combo video and gameday material video is due by January 15th
- Interview with the Coaching Staff (Head Coach, Asst. Coach) will be scheduled between January 1st-February 1st.
When will I be told that I have a spot on the team, if offered?
We will start offering official spots on our roster as of February 5th, after FSUs admittance date. Any spot offered prior to the admittance date, is contingent upon acceptance. Recruits will have one week to accept or decline their offer for our team. Official Golden Girls Dance team will be confirmed and/or announced Mid-March.